Ed’s Vital Chi Pumpkin Pie with Ginger Whipped Cream
2 cups baked or canned pumpkin or mashed winter squash
1/2 cup firmly packed organic cane sugar, or date sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups almond milk, whole milk, soy milk or half and half
1 scoop of Vital Scoop
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon ginger
½ teaspoon cloves
¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon chi tincture (reishi, maitake, milk thistle tincture in glycerine)
- One 9″ unbaked pie crust. Preheat oven to 425° F.
- In a blender or food processor, mix up pumpkin, milk, sugar, eggs, and chi tincture.
- While blending, add in dry ingredients: Vital Scoop™, spices, salt, till smooth. Taste and adjust sweetness and spices to your taste.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Bake at 425° F for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° F and continue to bake for 45 minutes or until the filling is firm and and inserted knife or skewer comes out clean.
You can use a graham cracker pie shell or other pre-rolled shell. If you want to make your own, here’s Ed’s recipe:
- Get wax paper. Tear off two sheets, about 12” square. You will roll your dough between this.
- 3 cups of flour: your choice of whole-wheat pastry, spelt, barley and/or organic white flour. (If you mix the whole grain with the white in a 2-1 or 1-1 ratio, your crust will be lighter.)
- 2 sticks of frozen organic butter
- ¼ cup cold water
- You can mix this in a food processor or grate or cut the butter into the flour mix and then gently use your fingers to mix the butter into the flour, slowly adding the water.
- When you can form balls, make two of them, by patting the dough together. Freeze till hard
- Roll between wax paper with rolling pin or glass. When smooth and even lay into pie dish.
Ginger Whipped Cream
1 ½ cups coconut cream or heavy cream, well-chilled
2 tablespoons maple syrup or confectioners sugar (to taste)
¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- Place bowl and whisk in the freezer for at least one hour.
- Place heavy cream (not ultra-pasteurized) into bowl and whisk until it just holds stiff peaks.
- Add sweetener and ground ginger. Beat the mixture until it holds stiff peaks.
- Serve the pie after it has cooled. Garnish with Ginger Whipped Cream or serve it on the side.